Enfield

 

 Albany Park  Avenue

Created c.1902, like nearby Albany Road probably so named to commemorate Leopold, Duke of Albany, youngest son of  Queen Victoria, who died in 1884

Brick Lane

Bishop Stopford School on a core of 1934. Middlesex County Council

Enfield

1820 pot of coins of Donation era

Carterhatch Lane

Carterhatch School 1949 Middlesex County Council. Low buildings on a grand scale.

1750s potash house

50, St James church

Carterhatch Lane Halt 1916-1919 the halt stood north of the road bridge. It was a very simple affair, and was constructed for just £159.  Because the up line was blocked by stored and crippled wagons at the time, trains were using the other track in both directions, so only a platform on the down side was deemed necessary.  This was constructed from sleepers, and was long enough to accommodate the push pull service then in operation.  It was reached by a flight of wooden steps, which led down from the road, and had a fence along its back edge.  The platform was completely devoid of shelter, and boasted just a name board and two oil lamps.  Another lamp was provided at the top of the access stairs, and all three were suitably shaded so as not to cause problems during air raids.  The premises were of course unstaffed, and the lamps would be lit and extinguished by the auto-train guards.  Adjoining the entrance to the halt lay an additional arch, believed to have been intend- ed to support the street level building of a station proposed when the line was still in the planning stages, but never built.  There was also sufficient ground on the up side to construct a goods yard, but this never materialised, and it has since been developed for housing.  Before this, the site was to prove useful for railway purposes however, when it was used to accommodate the electrification depot, installed during the line's rehabilitation in the late 1950s.  Shortly after falling into disuse, the name board, lamps, and access stairs were removed from the halt, leaving just the platform.  This lingered on for some years, gradually disintegrating, but had gone by the late 1940s.

Donkey Lane

Queen Elizabeth Stadium.  Period piece in streamlined 1930s modern idiom.  Under construction in 1939, interrupted by the war; completed c. 1952, and renamed after refurbishment in 1977.  Sports pavilion with curved ends, projecting flat roofs, and a cafe at the end with curved drum staircase.

Great Cambridge Road

Begun 1921.  This never became an industrial showpiece to compare with the 'Golden Mile' of the Great West Road.  Factories grew up only gradually along the side by the 1950s, when many were built, ostentation was out of fashion.  A characteristic plain brick group remains between Carterhatch Lane and Southbury Road, although the best are gone  (Ferguson's colour TV factory by Jellicoe, 1956).

Safeways makes an effort to be elegant in postmodern manner, with moulded cornices and pitched roofs in the  1990s.

Northumberland Avenue?

1885, 60 yards of tunnel underneath it for an abortive underground railway

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone