London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
Bank 1902 Free Classical; angled gable with pepperpot turrets
Green space which recalls with trees at the start of the lane perpetuates
the memory of a group of seven elm trees planted by seven sisters, the source
of the name of Seven Sisters Road, laid out from Camden Town to Tottenham in
Chestnut Estate. Haringey low rise of the 1970s. . The same type of pleasant white-boarded
terraces as Tenterden Road
Community Centre one-storeyed by Colquhoun & Miller,
Municipal depot buildings.1904.fall within curtilage of buildings on Town
Hall Approach Road. Listed and considered at risk.
High Cross School.
Converted to housing 199. institution which was the Drapers
Long main street very broad and is
lined with old-fashioned houses interspersed with modem shops, but
busy character of this neighbourhood it still retains the appearance of a
street in a country town
Friends meeting house
St.Mark Methodist Church.1937 forms the centrepiece of a shopping parade.Rebuilt 1963
Ingleborough Court rear of
399a two storey late 20th Century
former warehouse building,
639 gas company offices.
Tottenham and Edmonton Gas Company 1901. Listed grade 2. with terracotta decoration and iron finials depicting gas
lights, built the company in 1901, architect John Sherwell Corder of Ipswich.
It was extended 1914. Listed grade II.
Felvus Hall. Addition to
Drapers College. 1926 converted to housing.
Tottenham Palace Theatre
1908 only survivor of the chain for the United Variety Syndicate. Cinema 1926
and Bingo 1969.
The Zone built in 1909 as
the Canadian Royal Skating Rink later
became a cinema and a dance hall
British Legion rebuilt
after a fire
Library Court – conversion
of Edwardian Library to flats
Sculpture – embracing forms
226/232 Tankard and Smith, Garage
demolished 1973.Private bus garage.
399 & 401 Tottenham British
Legion Club, are a pair late 18th
buildings, They are set back from the Road, their
front gardens are now a car park
421- 427 The Palace Theatre
of Varieties opened in 1908 operated by United Varieties Syndicate Ltd. It was
designed by Wylson & Long with a long facade in red brick and stone. Inside
there were two boxes flanking the proscenium and gilded figures of Muses in
niches. There were eight dressing rooms. Films were shown from 1922 and in 1924
it was re-named the Canadian Cinema and taken over by Provincial Cinematograph
Theatres in 1925. The projection box was built on the rear of the stage it
remained a back-projection cinema. The name reverted to Palace Theatre in 1926
and Model D Wurlitzer 2Manual/6Rank theatre organ from the USA was installed.
In 1929 it was taken over by the Gaumont British Theatres circuit, later Odeon
and then the Rank Organisation. It closed in 1969 and converted into a Mecca
Bingo Club. By the 1990’s it was a Jasmine Bingo Clubs and the building was
listed.. The bingo closed in 1996 and it became the Palace Cathedral but
another church later took it over. The entrance foyer still has Norwegian green marble pilasters and a
white and green marble mosaic floor.
Tottenham Bus Garage.Bus
garage built 1913 for the Tramways (MET) Omnibus Company.Modernised 1985-6, extended to the west 1999.
Site of Hydraulic Pumping Station
Saltram Close Estate
By David & Stem, 1971-5. This
combines the 60s traditions of traffic segregation and stark, precise forms,
with the then growing concern to provide more low-rise housing.
Welbourne Nursery School
In the centre of the town a large
triangular enclosure called the Green, on which are situated the Borough
Council Buildings. Only a little remains of thedomestic buildings that once surrounded the
High Cross.Medieval wayside cross.Cross was
wooden and replaced in c.1700.Centre of
old village before it was Tottenham Hall, brick and stone replaced the wooden
cross, which had
stood on this site from time immemorial but was taken down early in the
seventeenth century.Recorded here in 1409.Column of brick erected by Dean Wood.
High Cross Pump. Well sunk in 1791 by Thomas Smith,
Lord of the Manor, who had just enclosed the previous well in front of his
rebuilt 1876 by parish surveyor, R. R Marshall.The mechanism is surrounded by brickwork supporting a tiled, conical
roof.Two removable handles turn
single-throw crank to work subterranean pump.
Richardson eighteenth century almshouses 1855
Town Hall. Pleasant Edwardian group.1905. Baroque. Clock turret. Council chamber
with festive plasterwork. Flanked by public baths and a
fire station Tottenham Town hall formed the centrepiece of an agreeable Baroque
municipal ensemble built in 19O3-5 for the recently formed Tottenham Urban
District Conned. Designed by A. S. Tayler and A.R Jemmett, thewinning entrants in a competition assessed by
John Macvicar Anderson marble imperial staircase, and the
former council chamber on thefirst
floor which flaunts a particularly striking Moorish style domed plaster ceiling
, its grouping with the other municipal building on the west side of Tottenham Green,
by the same firm is effective In the late 1930s the town hall was extended to provide an assembly hall and additional office
Swan inn low stuccoed
College of North East
London, previously Tottenham Technical College or Tottenham Poly 1939.Opened by Middlesex County Council in 1896
and enlarged in 1910 in two storey wings.1908 hall, six classrooms, 2 labs, and a cookery room.Took in 200 junior tech boys, 150 commerce
boys and girls, and courses for 1,500 engineers, etc.Site bought in 1896 and enlarged in 1910.By 1937 Magistrates Court there demolished
and only 1980 portion of building left
Holy Trinity. 1828-30 by
James Savage. Typical plain Commissioners' church
Infants School. Sunday and Infants School 1847 .
Memorial.1923. At the end of the Green with a stone pillar bearing a slim bronze angel
of peace by L. F. Roslyn.
Hospital Marcus Collins,
1897-1901; wing 1913.
Mountford House. Listed Grade II,
Conservation Area Imposing pair of late c18 early c19 houses. Used for
Borough of Tottenham received its
Charter of Incorporation from Sir Louis Newton, the deputy Lord Mayor of
London, on 27 September 1934, in theabsence of Sir Charles Collett owing to illness.Tottenham in the 1950s was mainly inhabited by the
artisan classes and had a population of 157.748.
William Lockwood Works from
Woodbridge and Elder Street
Town Hall Approach
19th domestic buildings. late c18, with a one-storey bowed addition, which later belonged to the
former hospital next door.
6 Deaconess Court. quiet neo-Georgian 1881. 1899 became Tottenham Hospital and renamed
Prince of Wales Hospital 1909.
Brick with stone dressings; it was converted to flats by B Hunt Thompson
Associates from 1992. founded in 1868 as a Deaconesses Institute, established at Avenue House by
Dr M. Laseron for the idea of training of voluntary Christian workers as
nurses, modelled on the German Institute at Kaiserswerth.
Tottenham County School. 1913 – first co-ed of its type in
Tottenham Fire Station Listed Grade II, Conservation Area
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by