Weald -Brentwood

      This post is not finished has not been edited or checked

Post to the west Weald Park, South Weald

Post to the south Brentwood Brook Street

Post to the east Brentwood

Bishop’s Hall Estate

Developed for commuters in the early 20th with 1,020 building plots.

Ongar Road

High Wood, Children’s TB Hospital, Transferred from Metropolitan Asylums Board  to London County Council

Robin Hood. This stood on what was Gallows Green which was a patch of land between the Ongar and Doddinghurst Roads in the 18th.

Highwood Hospital.  Opened by the Metropolitan Asylums Board in 1904 for children with Opthalmia.  By 1925 it was taking tubercular children. It has red brick buildings in five groups plus junior and senior schools.    More recently it has been used for older people.

Little Highwood Hospital. Opened in 1941 as an annexe to the London Hospital. Used for mentally handicapped and disabled people.

St.George’s Church built in 1934 with funding from John Larkin and designed by Crowe,Careless and Lawrence King. Hoped to extend it but the extension never happened.

 

Weald road

St. Charles School. Industrial school for the Roman Catholic diocese of Westminster.   Closed in 1954 and used as a Social Security centre for disruptive young people. Secure Training Centre 2005.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow