London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post is not finished it is not edited or checked
developed c. 1840 by Thomas Pooley.
Berry Lodge on the Tolworth border. Berry Lodge Dairy Farm
supplied milk to Surbiton
Partly on site of
Ellmers which was an old farm previously Beale's Farm.Bought in 1882 by Corbett.Surbiton Assembly Rooms 1889
Site of Ellmers
Built by Thomas
Pooley 1840s and named Railway Road.Later developers changed its name. From the first phase of development
Site of windmill
landmark, brickfield belonging to John Selfe. Housing Of the mid c19 with
stucco -trimmed terraces
1 Railway Tavern
Fishponds, a plain Georgian house of 1742.
Prince of Wales
No. 2 Woodside) the naturalist author,lived
there 1877-82, a time when there was only open country beyondas far as Ewell, and the present highroad was nothing
more than awinding lane.
Surbiton Council Offices. This picturesque two-storey building. uiltin a style described by the architects
W.W.A.Forsyth and H.Maule as a design of free but dignified English Renaissance
served Surbiton for nearly seventy years. Following amalgamation with Kingston
in 1965 it became a Crown Court.
117 New Prince.
A beer house from the 1850s taken over by Charrington. Darts and so on.
Kingston Station 21st May 1838. London and Southampton Railway.North of present Surbiton Station 1845
Resited. This early station wasn’t really Kingston, and not really Surbiton
either – although it was nearer to that than Kingston. The railway company did
not initially design the line for suburban traffic. Described as ‘little better
than a hut’ it was east of where Surbiton Station now stands between Ewell Road
and King Charles Road.
73 Horner Cottage. Listed
Grade II, Conservation Area. c19. Cottage ornee. Round headed windows with
pointed lights and trellis porch.one of a few older houses.
Ewell Bridge Road
Station in a cutting to the west.Just a
Reached by a
stair down the embankment from South Terrace.
Castle Pub old
Nightingales Brewery Pub
Christ Church 1862.by C.L. Luck, a. local architect and member
of the congregation. Lengthened 1866, Brick with stone dressings. front
elaborate and rather 'chapelly' with a plate-tracery rose flanked by little
turrets. The intended tower was never built. Interior with polychrome brick
arches on columns; circular clerestory windows within round- headed arches.
Elaborately painted timber roofs with tie- beams on large brackets. Remodelled
by K. White & Partners, 1977, when the end and the chancel were converted
to meeting rooms and the altar placed in the centre of the aisle. Stained glass
windows by Clayton & Bell, Heaton, Butler & Bayne; the rest mostly by
Lowers & Barraud, including the triple window at the end of the aisle,
1871, to a design by Burne Jones, given by N. H. Layers.
Area: around the
station site of Battle of Kingston.Lord
Holland skirmish with Roundheads and lost.Villiers killed.
Oak Hill Grove
Oak Hill Lodge, home of Arthur Bryant of the matches
Site of Nichols
estate.Berrylands Farm area bought by
Nicols of the Cafe Royal and included Regent House, deer park and Regent Farm.
Line from London – the diversion of this line in the 1830s
away from Kingston neccessited a deep cutting under Surbiton Hill.
Regent House Estate locally
South Bank View
Hillcroft College.Built as The Gables for Mr.Wilberforce Bryant of Bryant and May in
1884.Private meeting room and theatre
which any useful or religious body could use free.Military hospital.Hillcroft bought it in 1926. The more
picturesque influence of the Norman Shaw school appears in the rambling
composition of Hillcroft
Theatre on site
of Glenbuck Court
Surbiton Station. Between Hinchley Wood and also Thames Ditton and also Esher and
Berrylands on South Western Rail.Within
a year of the earlier station being built a developer, Thomas Pooley, had
donated the site of what is now Surbiton Station On the line from Nine Elms, to
Guildford, built 1885. The Station was called Kingston in 1838. In 1839, still
very primitive, people had to walk over the fields to it.When a station was built in Kingston proper
in 1863 this station was renamed ‘Surbiton and Kingston’.Rebuilt 1883, again in 1938.One of the first to acknowledge the existence
of a modern style in 1937-8 Plain geometric shapes of reinforced concrete
rendered and painted. Central booking office; asymmetrical clock tower.. It was
been rebuilt a number times, but its 1938 redesign was remarkable and it
remains an important building. It is was built by J.R.Scott of the Southern
Region’s Architects Department. An amazing structure.
Winthrop House.Ten-storey office block in modern style.by Fitzroy Robinson & Partners, 1959- 60,
to the north east, 1890-1900
Denby Dale pub
Surbiton.’ Suberton’ 1179, ‘Surbeton’ 1263, ‘Surpeton’
1486, ‘Surbiton’1597, that is 'the
southern grange or outlying farm', from Old English ‘suth’ and ‘bere-tun’, so
called in relation to Norbiton; both were granges of the royal manor of
Kingston - the king’s estate by a ford on the river and
its outlying farms were called ‘bartons’.It was known as Kingston New Town, or Kingston-on- Railway as it was
starting to be called in 1841, when the railway had arrived . In 1855 it was
already a select middle-class area large enough to become a local authority
independent from Kingston. The centre is now rather a mess. Despite unfeeling
rebuilding of the 1930s onwards, the strata of respectable suburban development
can still be traced, from neat stucco paired villas and terraces still in the
Regency tradition, via Ruskinian eclecticism, to the more expansive outer
suburbs of the 1890s. received its
Charter of Incorporation in 1936, and is a handsome modern suburb which grew
from almost nothing with the coming of the railway. Here some new blocks of
flats have been erected on the riverside promenade and close to the railway
station. The leading shops are situated in Victoria Road and Brighton Road. Of
late years the town has expanded considerably in the direction of Tolworth,
where many new houses and shops have been erected on the Kingston by-pass road.
Clocktower. little Gothic of 1905-6
1648 last engagement of the English Civil War.Now-vanished
common,where in 1648 the
Parliamentarians defeated a body of Surrey Royalistsunder the Earl of Holland and the Duke of Buckingham,
who were returningfrom an attack on
Kingston.This was the last engagement
of any significancein the Civil War.
The Paint Research
Association, originally known as
the Research Association of British Paint, Colour and Varnish Manufacturers,
was founded in 1926 in founder director Dr Louis Jordan's house at Surbiton
before moving to a
disused candle factory in Teddington.
Odeon: November 1949.This
dramatic Odeon, a mile from Kingston on Thames, boasted its name in huge
letters mounted on the canopy when it opened. Demolished and site is now a
St. Mark’s Hill
completely remodelled by P. C. Hardwick in 1855. Destroyed in the Second World
War, except for the tower and spire and rebuilt in a deplorable style by Milner
& Craze, 1960.
Built by developer Woods on the site of the grounds of
Was Selfe Park
made by John Selfe?Selfe tried to
develop the area with Pooley.Painter
and plumber from Thames Street, ex bailiff of Kingston.Tried to found a waterworks in the area.Brick and tile maker in Surbiton
Hollyfield School with four-column Ionic porch
Little Elmers at
junction with St.Mark's Hill, John Selfe's home
(Elmers Cottage and boundary walls), listed.
Hexagon House, listed
Example of first
office building in Surbiton Developed by Thomas Pooley in 1841 and called
Claremont Crescent, he lived in the first house. facing a pleasantly mature
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by