This post is not finished it is not edited or checked
Had been a bridle path from Lower Green to Common Field and was called Fire Works Lane, went to the Pain factory
Pain's Firework Factory site from Main Duty Stream, Mitcham
Little Wood, Eastbrook Farm, Was called Albany Firework Factory, fire 1885, Bought by Bryant and May 1963, closed 1966,
Eastfields Housing estate by LB Merton. A smaller scheme, completed 1974, by the same team as Pollards Hill, and designed on the same principles. The terraces here enclose a rectangular space, with smaller squares opening off it.
Triangular open space Fygmershe c.1530, Figges Marsh 1876, named from the family of William Fige, recorded in connection with Mitcham in 1351, with Middle English ‘mershe.’ William Figge held the land in 1357 and this was all pasture land. Housing all round now and a leisure area. Was the home of Tooting Graveney Football Club and Mitcham Rugby Club.
Swain’s Farm – growing for the perfume trade in the 18th.
Pound Farm - growing for the perfume trade in the 18th.
Milestone 18th saying ‘nine miles from London
Houses mid c18 three-storey pair
Dennis Reeve pleasant old people's housing of 1976-9 A. Smith Burkmar of the Borough Architect's Department.
New Barns Estate from Commonside East to parish boundary owned by the Watney family
Named for Gorringe Park House, which was on the corner of Sandy Lane and Streatham Road. The house became and orphanage, a convalescent home in the First World War and then a Christian Jewish Mission. Developed for building early 20th
Pascall Confectionary works – set up on farmland by James Pascall early 20th.
People living at Lonesome used to have to walk across a ford.
Lonesome First School
Name was once more important in the area. Lonesome House was built in the 1820s. House demolished 1860s as part of the expansion of the chemical works. Became a deserted village in the 20th but now built up again.
Lonesome Chemical Works produced waterproof clothing and groundsheets for the Crimean War. Gas production in the 1860s. Closed 1930s. Forster & Gregory 1893 manufacturing chemist nitric acid 1900 Paint (Chemical colours) 1876 Naphtha &Paraffin
Travellers site for Lambeth Council 1970s since closed.
Locks Lane and Streatham Road corner
The Chestnuts, Pain's office
Renshaws marzipan factory in an old laundry
building. John F. Renshow. World’s largest user of almonds taking 25% of