This post has not been finished, checked or edited
Toll house converted to public toilets
Bridle Road now Eastcote Road
Timber framed house. two-storey timber-framed house with a well documented history: built c. 1570, converted in 1616 to back-to-back cottages - five on each side - in the 18th used to house the poor. former jetty was under-built in brick in 1616.
Pinner Gas Works, from 1868, CC & WT Walker as Pinner Gas Co., GLCC 1930, CWG 1918, 1872 management by Mr.Bell age 19 and wife of 17 034,
Ruislip National Schools
Eastcote Hill Manor Farm estate built by Metropolitan Railway Country Estates
Held in the Domesday Book by Walter Fitz Other
Alehouse shop with tear facing almshouses of 1570.
Houses in pairs with steep pantiled roofs, rather East Anglian in feeling, designed before 1914, but built after the war
An informal group of timber-framed buildings round the churchyard. a long range, plainly rendered but facing the churchyard with 16th close studding above a moulded side to the High Street. The rest of the Street is early 20th,
House with fireplace with carved lintel and trefoil-headed brick niches above.
Park House, c.1827, much altered and once with large grounds. To the road, a stuccoed end above shops; longer frontage with shallow bow.
Post Office, 16th twisted chimneys
Old Swan Inn 1500 & 1600
George Hotel 17th
Times House, a 1960s office, seven stories. c. 1965 by Frank Ratter
Barn Hotel. 16-17th L-shaped timber-framed farmhouse. Timber-framed barn and stables nearby.
The Old Post Office and the Village Tea and Sweet Shop. A low 17th exterior of brick, with two slightly projecting wings. An older timber-framed interior, altered but visible in half of the house.They are two cottages at the entrance to Manor Farm and were given to the local authority along with Manor Farm by Kings College. The Post Office was also the village’s first telephone exchange. Now the Duck House
King's College land developed by Metropolitan Railway
13-15 laid out in 1905, the first of King's College developments.
11-15 the first houses built in the road in 1906 designed by Frederick Mansford. Kings College imposed standards and the pair are made to look like one house
Withycutts. The name of old pasture in the area before being sold for development in 1903
Carried on the tradition of Manor Way after 1914
Part of the Manor Farm land was developed by Ruislip Manor Cottage Society with low-rental housing for artisans, intended to serve the needs of the garden suburb planned for Ruislip-Northwood, all very much in the spirit of Hampstead Garden expansion on land owned by Kings College Cambridge.
Cottages. A larger composition of simple brick cottages in groups of four, set back from the road behind a green. The central group is by C.M. Crickmer, the two flanking ones by A. Soutar, the smaller end groups, set a little forward, by H Welch.
Ruislip Station. Opened 4th July 1904 on the Metropolitan Line as the only intermediate station on the extension to Uxbridge from Harrow at a time when the population of Ruislip was only 3,566. it was half mile from the village but less than half a mile from Ruislip Manor Station.. It was a substantial station from the start and remains largely as built. Ruislip station consisted of two platforms, which were linked by a lattice iron footbridge. The main building was on the up side, and built red brick. The footbridge got a corrugated iron roof in 1928, but is otherwise original.
Depot to the east of the station for coal, cattle and horses. The yard was enlarged in 1928. Has since been converted to a car park.
Signal box was erected to control movements around the station and yard.
Metropolitan Electric Substation in 1905 taking power from Neasden.
Rolling stock depot for Central Line built in the 1930s.
Shenleys farmhouse, now a model
Ruislip Manor held in the Domesday Book by Ernulf de Hesding
Dating from the 1970s, occupies the site of the erstwhile Field End Farm.
The local pronunciation of Ruislip is either 'Rizelip' or 'Ryeslip'. It Appears in the Domesday book as ‘Rislepe’. ‘Ruslep’ 1227, ‘Risselepe’ ‘Ruysshlep 1341,. It probably means 'leaping place - across the river – where rushes grow', from Old English ‘rysc’ and ‘hlyp’. The name refers to a crossing of the River Pimm. The opening of the Harrow and Uxbridge Railway in 1904 was the stimulus to the area called Metroland and the first housing developments along the new railway were here. The Council was concerned with the activities of a number of land developers who bought land near the railway in the 1900s. The British Freehold Land Company sold plots for £3 down and 10s per week, but buyers had to find their own architect and builder. As a result, they often designed their own homes, with disastrous results.
St. Martin, 15th medieval wall painting Schools
Marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1904.
High Street Railway Bridge, a favourite location for railway photographers,