Norwood

 This post is not finished it is not edited or checked

Belgrave Road:

Stanley works.  1867 The door lintel says ‘contractor to H.M. Government, Council of India, Admiralty, Science & Art Department, &c." became JSM joinery. Bunt down. Three storey block with 16 bay workshop. Mathematical and surveying instruments. William Stanley 1829-1909 was the son of a mechanical engineer, inventor and builder. Stanley was born in Buntingford, Hertfordshire, and although receiving a limited education attended classes in technical drawing.  In 1849 he worked with his father at an engineering works. William made improvements to the design of the tricycle and soon was in his own business at 3 Great Turnstile, Holborn, as a worker in metal and ivory and a scientific instrument maker. His 'Pannntir Stereoscope' introduced in 1855 proved profitable and he expanded with the addition of another shop at Holborn Bars At The International Exhibition he was awarded a medal for his straight line engine.  This award brought him considerable extra business and laid down his large-scale business success. He published ‘ Descriptive Treatise of Mathematical Drawing’ which became the standard work on the subject. Further branches of the business were opened at Lincoln’s Inn, London Bridge and Norwood and the firm became W. P. Stanley and Co. with a capital of £120,000. Stanley made substantial improvements to the theodolite and other instruments and his numerous inventions included a micrometer in 1867, which recorded simultaneously wind direction and pressure, humidity and rainfall. There was also an integrating anemometer, a coin in the slot machine, one of the first of its kind for automatically measuring people's height and a spirometer for determining lung capacity. He had a considerable interest in photography and made improvements to camera lenses. As well as his many scientific interests Mr. Stanley involved himself in painting, wood carving, architecture, music and drama and lectured widely. He composed part songs and had some of his oil paintings exhibited at the Marlborough Gallery. As an author he was quite prolific and amongst his works might be mentioned 'Photography Made Easy", 'Stanley's Pretty Figure Book Arithmetic, 'Experimental Researches into the Properties and Motions of Fluids', 'Surveying and Levelling Instruments, theoretically and practically described' and 'Jae Smith and his Waxworks' In Croydon and Norwood he took a prominent part in public life and many local hospitals, technical schools and other charities benefited from his generous philanthropy.

Cargreen Road

Built at the same time as the station. And the row of nine and assorted houses backing onto the railway were quick to follow.

Chalfont Road

Cumberlow Lodge. Stanley designed it as his own house, to which he retired in later life Stanley. Moved there in 1878. A large and elaborate detached house in 6 acres of grounds  -shown as brickfields on maps of 1847 and 1868. The house became a regional assessment centre for girl offenders Camberwell Assessment centre, can only be glimpsed from the neighbouring roads.

102a lodge

Holmesdale Road

Duke of Cambridge pub

Norwood

Means North wood and relates to the Great North Wood which covered the area until the 17th.  

Norwood Central London District School started off as the Norwood Infant Poor House

Norwood High Street

Library pleasant

Selhurst Park

Crystal Palace Football Club

Selhurst Road

1 White Horse pub

Holy Innocents 1894/6 glass. By Bodley. Along the road, with nave and chancel in one and no tower. Stone. Tall interior with slim Perpendicular piers and no clerestory. Stained Glass window by Kempe.

Library 1900/8 ‘Library’ in aggressively large letters. By Hugh Lea, Borough Architect of Croydon, 1966-8. Boldly detailed; windows with thick mullions above dark brick. The upper floor on one side is a windowless area of ribbed concrete.

South Norwood Adult Education Centre, with a tall gabled wing of 1902 next to a plainer late c 19 building.

38 Selhurst Arms. An intruder 1974

Brickfields were to develop to the north of Selhurst Road

221-223, large and stately villas of the later c 19 remain. With polychrome brick decoration.

196 noticeable intruder confronts the library next door: by Edward Cullinan and Anthony Peake, 1974-6, a stock brick cube of four maisonettes, relieved by stained timber balconies and top floor

South Norwood Hill

Was Beggars Hill; nineteenth century villas

25 early c19 rural villa. Three bays, stuccoed

30 with a nice tented porch.

Methodist Church. Gothic with tower and spire. By Lander.

Stanley Halls and Art Gallery 1902. Stanley realized £100,000 when his firm became a limited company in 1900. He used much of it as "Architect and Donor" of these ugly but charming buildings best described as eclectic. The foundation stone of the large hall 31 May 1902, completed February 1903, smaller hall 1904, two smaller rooms and secretary's house 1909. Most memorable building in South Norwood. Designed by local industrialist W. Stanley. Copper flowers in the flowerbeds, eccentricities, statue, and clock tower. Stanley made £100,000 in 1900. Eclectic style, founded a small hall, 1902. Croydon Corporation art gallery. Portrait of Stanley on the east wall - Button stolen in 1966.  Excellent, designed and paid for by William Stanley himself and first opened to the public on 2nd February 1903 at a cost of £13,000. February 2nd was Mr. Stanley's birthday. The Halls continue in use for a variety of purposes, now administered by the local authority, and a blue plaque on the facade records brief details of William Ford Robinson Stanley. These interesting and singular Edwardian buildings deserve to be better known. In recent years theft and vandalism have taken their toll but there is still much to be seen. The busts of Shakespeare, Faraday and Co. over the entrance to the main hall have been stolen and Mr. Stanley's bust over the door to the former Art Gallery is no longer there. Beside the door a plaque even now advertises that admission to the Art Gallery is free. No doubt some of Mr. Stanley's paintings once hung there.  Inside the main hall grills for the warm air ventilating system devised by Mr. Stanley can still be seen and the heating boilers are still in the basement. Throughout the buildings the interior detailing and woodwork is excellent and there are some very nice tiles. Over the proscenium arch in the main hall an inspiring slogan is emblazoned which in several ways expresses ideals Mr. Stanley would, one feels sure, like to be remembered by. Also on the facade, note the statue "Labor omnia vincit" at the base of the other tower, and the lady with torch, and copper floors in pots, on the roofline of the gable of the large hall. 

Stanley Technical Industrial schools 1907 and still an independent technical school. The tower used to house Stanley's meteorological instruments - another of his interests. An experiment in education for 12-19 year olds Trade school based on general system and workshops established. Still independent Technical school. Stanley's instructions on it, statues.  In 1907 Stanley Technical School became an immediate success. Stanley later presented the buildings to the public with an endowment to the value of £50,000. The trade school, was based on the German Gewerbe schule, an experiment in technical education for 12-15-year olds.

Theological college 1923 Oaklands Park given to them by Major Waller.

South Norwood Recreation Ground

Acquired by the Croydon Borough in 1889. It has a multi games area for teenagers, younger children’s playground, bowling green and football pitches

Station Road

32 Cherry Trees pub

Clock tower, 1907, cast iron, Webber Bros., Does it come from the 1851 exhibition? Cast iron clock to mark the golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Stanley. The clock tower was -Financed by local public subscription as a tribute to Mr. Stanley's generosity.

Webber Bros Ltd The sports goods firm uses an old school of 1887, with a facade of polychrome brick and decorative tiles.

Fire station of 1897

St.Dunstan’s Road

18-20 Henderson’s Film Laboratories.  Demolished

Wharncliffe Road

To the East of the house there was a nursery and Ross Lodge, there was a second lodge at the entrance (today known as Wharncliffe Lodge ).

Ross Lodge was demolished in 1987 due to serious movement of the foundations caused by the underlying London Clay and the site is to be redeveloped as a garden.

The nursery was used by the Corporation for plant production and locally was famous for its hrysanthemums; in the autumn the greenhouses were open to the public so that they could see them. During the war, like other Corporation nurseries, it was given over to food production. After the war part of the nursery was demolished to make room for tennis courts and in the mid sixties it was closed when all nursery production in the Borough was transferred to one central site.

 

Whitehorse Lane

Whitehorse Meadow. A natural open space with a pond and open grassland it was previously used for allotments. Today it is managed for wildlife by Whitehorse and Grangewood Residents Association and the Council. On a hot sunny day the meadow abounds with a range of butterflies.

Whitworth Road

St.Chad 1932. RC by G. Drysdale. Brick Romanesque, apsed, with a tower


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow