London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
St. John the Evangelist,. was dedicated in 1903.In 1904 a new parish was created.
William Torbitt School, 1937 by L.E.J. Reynolds, Architect to the
Ilford Education Committee, and J.F.A. Cavanagh, Senior Architectural Assistant
for Schools.Long symmetrical front,
Dudokian brickwork to the central and end towers
Canon Palmer Catholic High School,
1961 by Essex County Council.Mother
Form Centre: 1998 by Redbridge Architectural Consultancy.
Downshall County Junior and Infants
Schools.Downshall temporary board
school was opened in 1899 A permanent building was completed in 1902. In 1947
the school was re-organized to provide a secondary school in addition to those
for juniors and infants.
The manor of Downshall was west of Seven Kings Water,
about a mile south- east of Newbury. It was a free tenement held of Barking
Abbey until about 1250, when it became part of the abbey demesne. The name was
derived from a family of tenants named Dun. Downshall occurs, as 'Dunneshall',
in 1441 and 1456. In1540 it was on
lease from the abbey to Edward Harris and after the dissolution in 1546 it was
granted by the Crown, to Sir Richard Gresham.In 1730 John Hyde sold Downshall to John Dagge of Rotherhithe, mariner.
Dagge left the manor to Mary Cherriton, and her son sold it in 1776 to a Deptford
gardener named Edmonds. In 1847 James Edmonds was the owner of the estate.It was later owned successively by James
Hunsdon, a Mr. Edwards, and C. H. Hambly, the last of whom sold it for building
to A. Cameron Corbett, who developed it in 1898-1901. The Porter family were
tenant farmers of Downshall continuously at least from 1684 to 1793.
Newton Industrial Estate, Woodcraft,
Ebbes House.A striking, white-rendered
streamlined factory with a tall Art Deco tower - one of the few examples of the
style to be built along the new arterial road.1936 by Fuller Hall & Ferbam for Frederick King & Co. Ltd, pre- served
St TheresaR.C., 1951-2Plain
brick, Early Christian round-arched style
United Methodist church. The Methodist Union of 1932 led to its
closing and the formation of a new church
Speculative development in
the early 20th century involved 142 house plots and a new school but only four
houses in this road were sold
Newbury Park. Named
from ‘Newbury’ 1348, ‘Newberry’ 16th century, ‘Newbury’ 1805, ‘Great Newbury’
1883, that is 'the new manor or manor house', from Middle English ‘newe’ and
‘bury’. The Newbury Manor belonged to Barking Abbey and at the dissolution went
to Sir Richard Gresham. Housing and schools came in the late19th. In 1891 Newbury, then comprising 170 acres, was
put up for sale by order of the mortgagees. It appears to have been bought by
J. H. Mitchell, and building development had started by 1900.The farmhouse- of
the estate, called Great Newbury, was said in 1900 to be modern. It appears to
have been demolished in 1932 or 1933.
Oaks Park High School, 2003 by
Watkins Gray International.Massive
X-plan principal block, the angled wings on the N side framing the playing
fields.Sweeping curved roofs,
sheet-metal-clad upper storeys with brick below.
Oaks Lane Methodist Church the first Methodist church to be built in
England after the Union of 1932. Shortly before the Union William Potter,
Superintendent of the Upton Park Primitive Methodist circuit proposed that the
Primitive Methodist churches at Ilford, and Seven Kings, and the Wesleyan
church at Newbury Park should be sold and the proceeds used to build a new
church on a more central site. The church was opened in 1934. Its first trust
was composed of an equal number of Wesleyan, United, and PrimitiveMethodists, and the trust deed was the
Model Deed adopted by the uniting conference of 1932. Potter himself became
first minister of Oaks Lane.
Barn at Aldborough House Farm c 1730. Formerly the
chapel attached to Aldborough Hall.
Seven Kings Park
Downshall farmhouse stood at the south-eastern corner of what is now Seven Kings Park;
its name survives in Downshall Avenue and in the Downshall schools. The house was demolished shortly after 1900. It is said to have been
of red brick.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by