London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post is not finished it is not edited or checked
1639, Fifteenth century door, 14th century windows, 17th-century glass in the east window and an
18th-century pulpit and altar-rails. The present church
was built of brick in 1932 as a two-purpose church hall; wooden hall added as a
temporary church in 1938; low link in between, 1976
borough housing byA.J. Thomas of the 1950s
wooden church temporary church in 1930, Scorpio martyr
Earl Haig Memorial Homes. Percy Morley Horder design for
Housing Association for Officers Families. Collegiate style. Less institutional. By Grey Wornum and Louis de Soissons, 1931
onwards. Neo-Georgian ranges of two and three storeys around large grassed
Neo Georgian houses in green spaces with portrait roundels of western front
commanders. Opened by the Prince of Wales.
Old School House,
1731, a simple brick cottage with an inscribed tablet; later c19 additions
by a boundary wall, yellow brick flats with mansard roofs built by the Housing
Association for Officers' Families, c. 1928 and later.
George Inn. 16th century stuccoed with an early c 19
elevation masked by extensive alterations of 1931
St.Helier station.5th January 1930. Between Morden South and Sutton Common
on Thameslink and Southern Trains. Built by theSouthern Railway plus a deal with London Electric Railway in in 1929., quite remarkable,
concrete blockhouse station building – anticipating brutalism by 40 years.It is a long way from the centre of
yard.12 acres given for this by LCC and
two more by Southern Railway.
Merton Technical College 1971/2.Pleasantly sited on
the edge of Morden Park. 1971-2 by the Borough Architect’s Department, A.
Jadhar, R. Toole.Long, neat
curtain-walled range with projecting middle storey; unsightly one-storey
workshop and dustbin excrescences.
Church farm cottage
Morden South Station. 5th January 1930.Between St.Helier and South Merton on
Thameslink and Southern Trains Southern Railway plus a deal with London railway.A subway crosses through the embankment to
the station, built in 1929, however the nearby tube station, means its custom has
always been limited.
Depot built behind the station for the northern line but train company
hostilities meant it remained very limited.
Baiul Futuh Mosque. Ahmadiyya Muslim Association.Purpose built largest mosque in Europe. Dome, minarets and 13,000
worshippers.Islamic and European
architecture also taking in buildings on an old dairy site. Halls, library,
crèche and studios. Built on the site of an Express Dairy Depot.The old dairy chimney was the basis for the
The line between South Merton and Morden South crosses the main road on an
impressive 120ft skew lattice girder bridge.
Morden Park House.
Registry Office. Council park's department offices. A fine house of
1770 set in extensive grounds. Built by John Ewart, merchant and distiller, on
part of the Morden Hall estate. Five-window front of two storeys with a
parapet; brown brick. Arched ground-floor windows in yellow brick-arched
recesses. Venetian doorway with Tuscan demi-columns and pediment, linked to the
pedimented window above by a balustrade and scrolls. Seven bays, with
symmetrical one-storey canted bay-windows at either end, one heightened in the
later c19. Large two-storey bow-window at the back. The front door leads to an
entrance hall connected by a screen of two Ionic columns with a staircase of
imperial type, starting in one flight and continuing in two. From the
half-landing one enters the saloon with the bow-window. On the ground floor are
the drawing room and library, with a half-domed recess with columns. Dining
room and kitchen. At the back of the house a courtyard with two small round
houses and the remains of a crinkle-crankle wall.
Opposite the church
almshouses of 1731 for 12 poor children.
Mound. Possible barrow or Romano British Mound. Used
as a garden feature.
Morden South station goes from the embankment into a cutting for the approach
Siding south of Morden South station
to a private siding for an Express Dairy bottling plant. Milk tankers came here
from Acton Western Region. This continued until 1978 and the depot closed.
1928 London County Council overspill Garden City ideas, original
name after monastery,Residential district built 1928-36 as a garden
suburb to rehouse people from inner London
named in honour of Lady St Helier. a London County Council alderman who
worked tirelessly to relieve poverty until her death in 1931.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by