Morden

 This post is not finished it is not edited or checked


Circle Gardens

Supposed to have been a church

Crown Lane.

Crown House The mediocre shopping centre around the L.T. station has this as its focus by A. Green, 1959- 61, a curved slab of twelve storeys on a two-storey podium with shops on the ground floor. Quite an early example of the type in outer London

23-37 North's Cottages, a two-storey late c 19 terrace built by Thomas North, owner of a local sheet-metal works. Brick ground floor, upper floor and roof originally all clad with corrugated iron. Modest curiosity,

31 the best preserved, with tiny corrugated iron dormers as well.

33 has a neat porch in the same material

Kingston Road

Corner Rutlish Road two nice houses

London Road

St. Lawrence.  Originally a medieval church here was provided by Westminster Abbey for its tenants. Morden parish church. Built 1636, which is an interesting and rare date for churches. Red brick, mainly in English bond and probably a refacing of an older building - see the stone plinth and thick walls. The Nave and chancel are in one. Vestry 1805. Embattled tower restored in 1887. Simple whitewashed interior. The Roof with tie-beams and kingposts, is purely utilitarian. The Pulpit, Formerly a three-decker, with original stair and sounding board, 1720. Communion Rail; Three-sided, with twisted balusters, also 1720.  There is a Stained glass window largely c17, with figures of Moses and Aaron with the Tablets of the Law; kneeling donors beneath which was. Partly renewed including the painted dove in the tracery in 1828.  Monuments: Mrs Elizabeth Gardiner 1719 benefactress of the parish and donor of pulpit and communion rail. Inscription on feigned drapery within a Corinthian aedicule. Sir P. Leheup 777. Bust before a black triangle.  Mrs Leheup 1775. Good, large, simple tablet. No figures.  Many good minor tablets to the Garth family of Morden Hall, and others.

Churchyard with several bulgy sarcophagi. The great gale in October 1987, that caused such devastation over south-east England, damaged several trees in the St Lawrence, Morden, parish churchyard and brought the loss of the old chestnut by the Rectory and the hawthorn near the north boundary. It also did away with a lot of dead and decayed wood. In the clearance that followed the hawthorn was found to be particularly affected. Beneath the roots some brick foundations were uncovered comprising a main 14in rear wall and two internal 9in walls which formed a right angle enclosing a small area oriented north south, open ended towards the north. It suggests a small storage space. Research has since disclosed that the walls form part of a wheelwright's shop dateable to the early 19th century. In 1797 Jeffrey Muggeridge, wheelwright, obtained a licence from the lord of the manor (then Owen Putland Meyrick) to enclose a piece of waste land 'adjoining the churchyard and behind the Pound whereon a workshop now stands'. In 1810, Muggeridge surrendered it to Philip Puttock, wheelwright, and at the same time there was a licence to enclose two more pieces of land, one the site of the pound, the other the site of the 'movable workshop of Edward Polhill, Esq.  (Of Morden Park c. 1789-1802). Just south of the workshop area Philip Puttock built a house and a shop, which was run by his spinster sister, Sarah. The church has in its collection an engraving (undated) showing what appears to be a sawpit on the north-east corner of the churchyard.  In 1831 Puttock surrendered the whole property to John Walker, wheelwright, subject to annuity of £38 to Philip Puttock and his sister. Walker was to be admitted to another small piece of land south of the shop. Sadly, John Walker lost his young wife, Margaret, who died in November 1833, aged 25. She has a headstone on the south side of the churchyard.

Church Farm Cottage 1813 . A small rural weather boarded survival, restored.

Morden Station. Opened 13th September 1926. It is the Terminus of the Northern Line from South Wimbledon Built by the City and South London Railway. The southernmost of Charles Holden's stations on the City and South London Railway extension. Yet another variation on his theme.  It is Approximately 10 miles from central London. The longest continuous tunnel in the underground system runs from Morden to East Finchley via Bank a distance of over 17 miles!  Morden in 1926 was a rural area and the station was built on open farmland giving Holden, more space than had been available for the majority of the stations on the new extension. A parade of shops was incorporated into the design each side of the imposing station entrance. In 1960 a Three-storey office block added above. The structure had been designed from the beginning with the intention of enabling upward development. Originally fares were set low to encourage developments.  By 1970s it was called the ‘misery line’ because of the delays and violence and robberies on it.

Merton Civic Centre. Formerly Crown House. Initially this building was a commercial development for Merton and Morden Urban District Council by A. Green in 1965. This reinforced concrete complex consists of a curved 15 storey office block in a podium containing shops office and a public house. It was acquired and re named by Merton in 1985. A three storey council suite and library was added to the front in 1990. With wind turbines.

Morden

Called ‘Mordune’ in 969 in a spurious Anglo-Saxon charter.. It is ‘Mordone’ in 1086 in the Domesday Book. Morden 'Mordone', 'mor' means marsh, 'den' means hill, Morden is the Mound on Scorpio in the Kingston Zodiac. ‘Moreden’ in 1204, ‘Moorden’ in 1440. It means 'hill in marshy ground', from Old English ‘mor’ and ‘dun’, referring to its situation on slightly elevated land between the valleys of Beverley Brook and the River Wandle. It will be noted that the spelling ‘den’ - for the more historical ‘don’ - occurs from quite an early date.

Mordeb Hall Roiad

Morden Hall. Little altered since its construction c. 1770, Morden Hall is a three storey house flanked by two wings to the north, enclosing a courtyard furnished with a fountain, set behind modern iron gates. Moated by man-made channels fed from the Wandle the house is now leased.  The exterior has been deprived of its attraction by later stucco and alterations of c. 1840. The house lies close to the road, hidden by a tall wall and trees. Three storeys, the front nine windows wide, the front with four-window centre, and two long projecting wings flanking a courtyard. An old view shows the centre with one-storey portico between full-height re-entrant projections now disguised by later additions. Large entrance hall with mid c18 fireplace; Palladian staircase around a well; staircase ceiling with mid c18 plaster-work.  Internally the Hall is quite plain, the entrance doors being transferred to the North side and leading via a vestibule to the main ground floor hall, which overlooks the river and lawns. In the centre of the hall is a large fireplace, while the only other decoration is in the ornate cornices and moulded architraves. A heavily constructed staircase with massive newels leads to the upper floors. Various additions have been made to the wings to satisfy the needs of different occupiers. The Hatfields added a Billiard Room to the East wing, large enough to take two tables, the walls decorated with the mounted heads of game animals. Also an extremely ugly recent addition to the West wing. Eighteenth century Gothic.

They evidently had no wish to reside in the wilds of Surrey whilst they had fashionable town houses in London. Ownership of the Hall passed to other branches of the family, who in turn leased it on to various tenants. By 1830 Morden Hall was in the possession of an in-law to the Garth family, Mr William Lowndes Stone, who leased it for 21 years at £110/10/00 per year, to the Reverend J and Mr. T. White for the purpose of running an academy for young gentlemen. An arched belfry was added to the top of the main facade to house the school bell, which no doubt served to recall the more adventurous boys from explorations of the rest of the estate. The boarding school tutored some 75 young men, mainly from London and the Home Counties. The weekly school journal, The Mordonian Juvenile Gazette, reveals particulars of the pupils' regime and activities. Naturally end of term was a favourite date in the Calendar and the issue of June 1849 records that "the amusements which were kept up in great spirit concluded at 4 a.m. when we retired to our dormitory". In 1867 Richard Garth M.P. agreed to sell the freehold of Morden Hall and other properties to Gilliat Hatfeild. The agreed sale took some time to realize for Hatfeild did not take possession until 1872. The only other owners were the

Fontain with Statue of Neptune and Venus,

Morden Hall Farm. Stood oin the form Library. Dairy cattle grazed in the water-meadows by the Wandle and milk was produced by the nearby Morden Hall Farm, which lay on the site which is now Morden Library, until after World War Two.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow