London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post is not finished it is not edited or checked
Place.Plain late Georgian.Four-window front with doorway with engaged
Ionic columns, facing away from the road.Later additions.
modest cottages and houses in a mixture of brick and weatherboarding, the
type once to be found all over Mitcham.,
Prospect House opposite,c18, reconstructed, with bay-windows,
17, early c 19, with pediment over a single
bay, a little grander than the others
Mitcham Common. Managed by Merton Council for the Mitcham Common Board of Conservators. Infilling until
recently, grassland and ponds on Cedars Avenue, Watney Road and Windmill Road.
Filled in Arthur's pond. The common was threatened and residents' action
campaign, rare moths, toads, frogs, etc. This greatly modified relic of heathland is basically triangular and
sliced by numerous roads including Croydon Road, which divides the large golf
course from the smaller recreational area.A chequered past of unsympathetic management seems to be on the wane.
Once a large common, extending from Waddon Marsh, four neighbouring parishes
used it for pasture and disfiguring gravel digging. George Parker Bidder QC is
the most well known of several vigorous campaigners against the resulting
despoliation of the common whose efforts lead to the setting up of a Board of
Conservators which bought out the lords of the manors. However, within less
than 50 years they had allowed the dumping of vast amounts of rubbish and in
turn found themselves pressured by the formation of the Mitcham Common
Preservation Society. Old battle lines were redrawn in 1984 when new proposals
for dumping were agreed by the agents of the Board, LB Merton Parks Department.
However, this threat was averted (as have been various landscaping schemes
around Seven Island Pond) and a more recent plan shows a welcome attempt at
some conservation management. Relic heathland can be found on the edge of the
golf course where heather and dwarf gorse grow. Other flowering species that
have kept a foothold include tormentil, restharrow, petty whin and orchids. The
common once extended to Waddon Marsh and some areas still reflect this damp
past, albeit only seasonally. The encroaching woodland is composed of willow
and birch, and ash provides cover for birds, some unusual like stone-chats and
barn owls. It is for butterflies that Mitcham Common is, however, best known,
with 21 species recorded ranging from the familiar tortoishells to rarities
like the four-spotted, silverhook and wormwood shark.
Seven islands ponds. Three ponds remain
due to former gravel extraction. The largest, Seven Island Pond, harbours bogbean.
earth mound created in the 1950s.
Three King's Piece,
Fairground.Mitcham green is a well-knownnursery of cricketers.A popular pleasure fair, long established at Mitcham,
is now held annually (on 12-14 August) on that part ofMitcham Common called Three Kings Piece.
Ravensbury Arms on site
of Blue Houses built for Surrey Iron Railway personnel
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by