London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post is not finished it is not edited or checked
The chief remains of the village. Old path.Used to have
thatched cottage on it
10Fine wrought-iron gate formerly to a c17 house
vicarage of c. 1800,
terrace of cottages,
Cottage, Georgian with a Victorian refronting. From
‘Mertone’ 949 in an Anglo-Saxon charter, ‘Meretone’ 1086
in the Domesday Book, ‘Meritone’ 12th century, ‘Mirton alias Marten’ 1679, that
is "farmstead or estate by the pool', from Old English ‘mere’ and ‘tun’.
The 'pool' was no doubt in or by the River Wandle which flows through Merton;
‘Merton Mill’ is marked on the river on the Ordnance Survey map of 1816. The
original settlement would have been near to where the old Roman road from
London to Chichester crossed the river, thus providing a convenient watering
place and overnight halt for early travellers. The identification of Merton
with a place called Merantun, where according to the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle,
King Cynewulf of Wessex met his death in 786, is exceedingly doubtful; the
naming of the recently built Merantun Way in the town is therefore simply
meretricious and deceptive. In medieval times there was a large Augustinian
priory here, founded in 1114 there is only a distant echo of its existence in
the name Merton Abbey, marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1816,for an area where the priory once stood. The
Manor also had property in the City. ‘South Merton’ is on record as early as
1324. ‘Merton Park’ was developed as a garden suburb on by John Innes. Old
roads intersect the John Innes' development. Innes genetics all on Scorpio.
Innes founded secretive Masonic Lodge. On the Virgin where Lady Hamilton lived.
In the pleasantly secluded area
round the church, traces of the old village blend happily with varied late c19
suburban development. Squeezed between Wimbledon and Mitcham.
Inns estate built 1870s for city gents in the Queen Anne
revival style by Quartermaine
National School 1870 paid for by hermit millionaire,
2-30.The next estate architect, J. S. Brocklesby,
added some sensitive and attractive Arts and Crafts houses. C.1906-11, include
a range of pretty whitewashed cottages, with low-pitched roofs and angled bays. Cottages for the farmer
A low, irregular gabled range, close to the old church, appropriately villagey
in scale. Original parts 1870, picturesque but tough Gothic, by Aldridge &
Willis; several additions, including an extensive one dated 1901, by H. G. Quartermain
180 1797 nice by the church, homes for five poor widows of
Manor House looks Georgian but earlier
Manor Club John
Innes's establishment by H. G. Quartermain, 1890—1. Founded as a working men's
Merton Public Hall, John Innes's establishment by H. G. Quartermain 1900 as a Masonic
Horse chestnut trees, John Innes. Main thoroughfare of the new estate, broad,
generously planted avenues laid out c. 1870. The earliest development, very
plain, yellow brick, of c.1870-5, can
be found. It contrasts sharply with what followed. The deliberate creation of a
garden suburb, with generous planting of trees and holly hedges (a
distinguishing feature of the area), allied to picturesque and artistic houses
in the up-to-date Domestic Revival style by the estate architect. G.
Quatermain. Examples can be found from c. 1880 to just after 1900 -
tile-hanging, half- timbering, Queen Anne windows, gables and bargeboards, and
40-50 cottages for estate workers, then became Victorian
houses for families;
17; 27; 29 infill flint barn of cement
33 The Flint Barn.The
estate architect, J. S. Brocklesby later work is a group of flint-walled and
pantiled houses of the mid 1920s impressive, barn-like, and allegedly
constructed from materials from old farm buildings.
John Innes Horticultural Institute.Part of Rutlish
School, established with money left by John Innes. It was opened in 1910 and
moved from Merton in 1953. Buildings of c. 1910 and later.
John Innes Park,
Originally the grounds of the manor house. Little altered John Innes built it
for himself and left the park to the people of Merton with strict instructions
on layout.The secluded evergreen walks
give it a delightfully intimate character. Entrance lodge, cottage, and archway
by H. Q. Quartermain, probably c. 1890.The wooden bandstand, handsome brick walls, and a rustic cricket
pavilion date from the park's opening in 1909.
The Sutton line,
built 1929, curves away from the main lines on an embankment ‘the wall of
death’ – for a mile and half through the station. which doubles the track
between Wimbledon and Wimbledon Chase.
Main thoroughfare of the new estate,
broad, generously planted avenues laid out c. 1870. Plane
and holly John Innes layout.Greater
London Council tried to demolish it in 1971. The deliberate creation of a garden suburb, with generous planting of
trees and holly hedges (a distinguishing feature of the area), allied to
picturesque and artistic houses in the up-to-date Domestic Revival style by the
estate architect. G. Quatermain. Examples can be found from c. 1880 to just
after 1900 - tile-hanging, half- timbering, Queen Anne windows, gables and
bargeboards, and much else.
Three Flemish style flint houses, southern in the centre
of the triangle.
19; 38; 40.The estate architect, J. S.
Brocklesby later work is a group of flint-walled and pantiled houses of the mid
January 1930. Between Wimbledon and South Merton on Thameslink and Southern
Trains. Built by Southern Railway plus a deal with London Electric Railway.
There is no such thing as Wimbledon Chase – ‘railway snobbery’ -the station is in Merton where the district
had been built up in 1900/14.Built in
1929, the facade on the main road in white glazed brick with a never used lift
tower for luggage.It was the prototype
for other Southern Region stations in the ‘marine’ style.
Very old road, used to be a stream there, corner cottage
Rutlish School.Victorian part is the old manor house built
by John Innes
also part of John Innes Horticultural Institute.A total rebuilding c. 1870-1900 of a former
farmhouse, most of it by H. G. Quartermain: an eclectically picturesque
composition with Tudor doorway, oriel window, and gables and bargeboards. Good
panelling and plasterwork inside. Undistinguished school buildings of 1957 next
8-12As Merton Park was also a farming estate,
cottages designed by Quartermain for farm and estate workers are just round the
corner from City men's homes. c. 1895-8. The result is great diversity both of
scale and size, far more so than in the more famous Bedford Park, for example
15 estate architect, J. S. Brocklesby, lived here. He added some sensitive and attractive Arts
and Crafts houses. 1907
17 Steep Roof. Estate architect, J. S. Brocklesby designed and moved
into this c. 1908 - a steep roof indeed, with minute dormers high up.
Manor House plaque
to John Innes 1829-1904 saying 'founder of the John Innes Horticultural
Institute, lived here'.Innes, born in
London, made his fortune as a property developer. He bought the Merton Park
Estate in 1867 and the stately manner in which he lived, contrasted sharply
with the mass density estates he built to house the hordes of farm workers, and
their large families, who were leaving the countryside to live and work in
London. "Instant slums" was how one social worker put it. Innes, in
order to ingratiate himself with the establishment, promoted horticultural
experiments and research and left much of his fortune for that purpose. Despite
his charitable efforts he didn't receive the knighthood he so much wanted and
which he thought he deserved. Plaque erected 1978.
A simpler red brick, roughcast, and
terracotta style appears in his last buildings c. 1897-1904
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by