London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
2-8 respectable mid-c19
Old Homerton Station.
Gaslamp & handrails.
Bishop Wood’s Almshouses.
He was Bishop of Lichfield and chaplain to Charles I & II. Lived in
Clapton. He came from Hackney. Founded1665 Wood, died
1692.The six almshouses are very
modest, one-storeyed, onthree sides of a
shallow courtyard. c19 Gothic chapel added at thecomer;
the tall chimneys also date from this time. Restored 1888, and by H.R. Ross in
Primitive Methodist Chapel
1885. Really a breath of Wild Wales.
Marble sarcophagus, found
1867, white marble, inscription implied it was a woman in it but it was a large
man Roman coffin now in Walthamstow museum
42-44 Chat’s Palace. Arts
Centre. Was previously Homerton Library. Surprising. Designed by the distinguished Edwardian architect Edwin Cooper, This is
small but monumental a sober stone-faced portico with Doric columns with
pediment and tall plain attic.Two
halls, their barrel vaults concealed by later ceilings
late Victorian shopping
Very old trackway
Bottom end was Bobs Hall
Field. Part of pilgrim route spring then via Clapton Road to Waltham Abbey.
Interesting railway bridge
Community College. Chelmer
Road Board School. A large variety
of lively skylines still tower above Hackney's streets of Victorian terraces
and their c20 replacements. As elsewhere in London, the type developed from the
1870s, with E. R. Robson's picturesque asymmetrical buildings in the tradition
of Philip Webb.Romantically grouped
shaped gables and dormers; blind tracery above some of the windows.
‘Clopton’ 1339, ‘Clapton 1593’, that
is 'farmstead or estate on a hill', from Old English ‘clopp(a)’ and ‘tun’.
Clapton is situated on high ground descending steeply to the River Lea on the
east side. Lower Clapton is marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1822,
Upper Clapton on that of 1877. Clapton Park is a residential district largely
developed at the end of the 19th century.
Greyhound Stadium. This was the original home of
Clapton football team, which became Leyton Orient. Became a dog track and then
Greaves and Thomas from
Hoxton furniture trade came in 1908 because of factory regulations
The Berger, Alderson and London Orphan Asylum Estates were
bought up by the London Suburban Land and Building Company in the 1850's and
'60s. Their new development was to be known as the Clapton Park Estate. It was
to be a respectable leafy suburb.previously an area of market gardens.
Clapton Park Estate Hackney Council system built in the
1960s.Mostly since demolished. The one
remaining block is Sudbury Court sold to a private developer and named Landmark
Heights in 1994.
Supposed to be a Roman
Corner Clapton road was the
large house Priestly lived in 1791. Red brick wall is probably a remnant of it
3 Thomas Livesey. One of
his homes survives.
Part of extension of
Brooksby Walk old footpath, path continues North to the Lea
This was laid out piecemeal
on Clapton Field in 1816 by which time there were Already some large houses
further north and east which were demolished in the 19th for Cavendish
and St. John’s Mansions.Ashpitel may
have overseen the development Much of which was demolished in the 1950s.The focus of the smart suburban edge of the late c18 and early c19 ends with the older
centre, which lay around the
narrow end of Mare Street.The square looks towards the late c18 church in theleafy churchyard and consists of Tall, restrained
houses which remain on the sides,
mostly terraced, with a few linked pairs.It is now a conservation area..
Central grass remained with
railings round it
Hackney New College
2-6 bombed and demolished
and Church Court flats built.
6 Rothstein friends of
7 early 19th terraced house
partly in commercial use. Listed Grade II but at one
time considered to be at risk.
20 Grander than the others, with stuccoed
13 still there. Home of
8 former coachhouse
1-7 grander terrace
Some of the earliest
Hackney local authority housing.
Median Road site of Hackney
College. Home of intellectual sedition in 1790s.
57 Priory Tavern, 1830s
Theatre 1875 short
Celestial Church Of Christ, formerly
St Paul C. of E 1890-1 by Henry Cowell Boyes, architect to the Grocers'
Church of Christ.Was St.Paul 1890.Weatherboarded tower.Built by the architect of the Grocers
‘Humburton’ 1343, ‘Homberton’ 1355,
‘Hummerton’ 1581, ‘Hommerton’ 1822, that is 'farmstead or estate of a woman called
Hunburh', from an Old English personal name and Old English ‘tim’.
once a small hamlet of Hackney village, on the hills above the Lea Valley.Owned by the Knights Templar with St.John of Jerusalem who
had a Mill on the Lea - on their badge was lamb & flag.First recorded in 1343 named for a farm owned
by a woman called Hunburgh.By the 17th
home of lots of posh people including the governors of Jersey and
Guernsey.Edward Lord Zouche has a
physic garden here pre-1625. In the c 18 it had a few large houses, and developed a
strong Nonconformist tradition.
Homerton College built c.1727 by Colon
Campbell for a Nonconformist merchant,Stamp
Brooksbank, became a Dissenters' Academy in 1786. It wasdemolished c. 1799.
Homerton High Street
assortment of factories, councilflats and dingy
hospital buildings, where only a very little survivesto tell of the Georgian past.
180/182 Summerfield Works.
Manufacturing chemist, Morson Thomas, & Son. Then rented in the 1870s by
Spill as the Ivoride Works - it goes down the side of Mackintosh Lane. Much of
the Homerton factory can still be seen standing at the corner of Barnabas
Street. The two gateways into the factory from Mackintosh Lane stills stand
together with several buildings, although several of these have been altered or
joined together. Through the southern gateway can be seen that boiler house and
beyond that the little stable, shop and oil store
2-4 St.John’s 1531. T.Batt
Master of the Ordnance. In charge of the Armada.
House.National Trust since 1938. Built in 1535 for
Ralph Sadleir principal secretary of state to Henry VIII.Later became the home of Thomas Sutton, the founder of
the Charterhouse and said to be the then wealthiest man in England. much
restored, it contains good 16th-century panelling and stone fireplaces. Picturesque silhouette gave way to a
Adam and Eve
Pub.A front of 1915;purple glazed tiles
below cream terracotta with a large relief.. Site of a religious house of St.Mary Spital – a sign that it was
the main way into the parish. Other Adam and Eve pubs at gateways to towns.
Berger Primary School. New
schools on the foundation of church schools, funded when St.Barnabas was built.
Could not afford to run them so sold to London School Board. Cash from sale built
the Sunday school. Picturesque c19 ragstonegroup:1855-6 byJ.
College Row flats.Between Priestly Street and College Row.On the site of Homerton College for
Protestant Dissenters. Replaced previous mansion. Rebuilt 1823 by SamuelRobinson.It became a teacher training college, which
moved toCambridge in 1893; the
building survived, used as a school for thedeaf,
until demolished after war damage in 1940.Now site
of Bannister House
Eagle House opposite
St.John’s. Contains a Dutch fireplace
Pillar Box with post office
Elim Pentecostal Church.
Hackney Brook formed an
ornamental lake in the grounds, where Beaufoy lived, this is the vinegar co became a school
Hackney Grammar school of
Homerton Library. 1968. Bold, with a well-proportioned two-storey
Plough Inn 1898. With stucco decorated
St Barnabas Church.1845 built on the site of stables. Organ from
St.Mary Outwyche in the City. Central heating 1890s by Arthur Ashpitel. es.Furnishings
include a large triptych, brought from St Andrew Bethnal Green.
St.John’s Institute 16th
century T.Sutton. Vicarage - . In the vicar’s study are 12 panels from Thyssen Manor House/Mermaid
Pub. . Church was paid for by Joshua Watson who lived
Sunday school, hall mission
built with proceeds of sale of Berger Road Schools
Vicarage. by A. Ashpitel of
Baptist Chapel of 1822
Homerton Hospital. Site of Hackney Union workhouse and
previously watercress beds and market gardens. Earlier buildings on site were
the workhouse infirmary on the site of ‘Homerton Castle’. Also the City of
London Union Workhouse. Eastern Hospital for smallpox and fever for the
Metropolitan Asylums Board. Later transferred to London County Council.
Replacement of older hospitals by a modern hospital in 1980. By YRM, 1980-7, replacing the two older
hospitals on the site.
Sculpture by Kevin Harrison, on the
theme of adults and children.
Small educational centre
Separate day centre, by Archimed,
32 Welsh Harp
Cold Bath Lane went down to
LCC 1937 on 20 acres of
8-13 an early c19 group,
13, a good
largefive-bay house with
Clapton School began as Clapton
Secondary School for Girls. Attractive Free Classical stone-faced entrance with
arched doorway and bowed oriel, 1914-16 by the entrance hall. To the rear, the
galleried assembly now library with open timber roof. Plain steep-tiled roofed.
c1920-5' two-storey extension of 1959-60 by J-M- Austin Smith & Partners,
Behind are large
G.L.C. extensions of c. 1979 technology centre in 1995 by Hackney Design
Site of Hackney School
1630s. Girls’ school at first. Demolished for London Orphan Asylum
Lea Conservancy Road
Remains of Lesney Matchbox
Portico. Ruin of Salvation Army Congress
Hall 1825, which was originally the London Orphan Asylum. Goldring and Inman
architects. Hamelin’s mastic used as the facing material. Now just the portico
is left. . The monumental tall Greek long flanking colonnade are all that
survive from the asylum founded by the Rev. Andrew Reid in 1813, and built in
1823-5 by W.S. Inman. The Salvation Army took over the
buildings in 1881 and roofed the inner courtyard to create a congress hall
seating 4,700. Listed Grade II but at one time
considered to be at risk. Much local building is in what was the grounds of the
Lower Clapton Road
by the borough in 1924.
Clapton School began as
Clapton Secondary School for Girls. 1914 LCC. backdrop to the
Linscott Road ruins
The Fountain, Edwardian ceiling about Pan
2-4 Hackney Police Station
1903 by J.D. Butler.
Hackney Baths. Palace of
Public cleanliness. 1896-7 by
Hamor & Pinches; tall, urban and stone-faced.Interior remodelled 1990-1.
Round Chapel, a performing arts centre which was built as Clapton Park United Reformed Church,in1869-71 by Henry Fuller and James Cubit for
the Congregationalists.The Old Gravel
Pit congregation bought the site and a design for the
building was chosen by the committee and Fuller was officially appointed as
architect in 1869.The chapel was
unusual in that it was roundish as well as large, impressive and extrovert
reflecting a new mood of self-confidence and assertiveness in the British
non-conformist world. it was also built of iron. It has a magnificent interior, festive and functional. roof and galleries
supported on iron pillars which rise up to form a continuous iron arcade with
spectacular lattice work effects above which the roof floats. The ceiling has a
double cove to cut down reverberation. . It is one of the finest Nonconformist buildings
in London and it set a pattern for innovations in such church building. The
original pewswere destroyed in 1990.
Repaired and refurbished 1995-6 as a performing arts centre, by Casanove
Schools, now converted as a chapel.
T1873, by Fuller
partner James Cubitt, architect of the slightly later Union Chapel.
15 Chesham Arms
Hackney Grammar School 1829
Propriety Grammar School, parents had to buy shares, but shopkeepers in Hackney
were banned.Demolished 1950s for a
Metal Box Factory which is now used by Hackney Surveyors’ Department.
by CZWG for Kentish Homes, 1984,
timber-framed houses arranged around a green.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by