London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
Central Park Ilford
Incorporates remaining heathland
Travellers’ settlement and grazing horses
Demolished May 1931. Thatched timber building. Built of rushes and paster daub.
campus of Barking College in the area
of the old hamlet of Rush Green. Barking College, Facing the street, the former
buildings of the College of Further Education. 1961 by H. Conolly, Essex County
Architect. A three-story reinforced concrete-framed teaching block with
slightly recessed ground floor. Single-storey range, originally for workshops.
Extending to the rear over a spacious campus are buildings of several later
phases. Bramley Block of 2002-3 by Perkins Ogden Architects with
Hampshire County Architects; The whole is tied
together by hard landscaping by Hyland Edgar Driver.
Behind it two White Hart
Lakes for fishing and landscaped mound
Lakes from abandoned gravel
North west field is Fels’
Field and derelict Fel’s Farmhouse on Dagenham Road.
Bell House at a bend in the road, early c18, but
remodelled and stuccoed. Distinctly pretty with the eponymous bell on the roof
ridge: was it added when it was a farmhouse or when it was a school?
Ilford Park Cemetery became
Eastbrook End Cemetery
London City Mission
Farmhouse Tavern , originally
Eastbrook Grove House, c. 1840 with early c20 additions at the end.
Around Dagenham Road and Chase Road, rough grassland gravel pits
Eastbrookend Country Park, nearly 350
acres of once derelict land, reclaimed since the early 1990s. The park is
contiguous with the featureless Central Park and the Chase Nature Reserve. Land had been sand and gravel quarry.
Mosaic of habitats
Millennium Centre, 2000, by Penoyre & Prasad. A showcase for
energy efficient design powered by light and wind. Timber-clad with metal roofs
swept up at the upper floor and down low over the exhibition centre. Between
the two blocks is an off-centre, windowless, stair tower.Made of recycled waste including car screens
Rhone Poulenc factory.major sponsor of the Chase.
Cottage, thatched timber building there in
Copse of oaks but gravel
extraction has led to lack of water
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by