Hendon Church Road

  This post is not finished, checked or edited


Post to the west Hendon Town Hall

Post to the east Henley's Corner

Alexandra Road

Manhole with streamlet beneath it

Ashley Lane

Surrounding streets developed by Haymills Ltd, suburban houses, a few of 1932-5 by Welch, 

Hendon Hall. Hotel since 1912. Eighteenth century. At the back of house pediment from Wanstead House. 1930 timber gate. modern flats, hotel-ex-manor house. In 1756 David Garrick was Lord of the Manor. He probably didn’t live there though. Corinthian portico. Clearly patently out of scale, and addition or is it ‘magnificent entrance porch with 4 great brick columns part of Chandos Canons Park’. Somewhere inside is a three storey red brick villa. Lots of things inside which don’t make sense. Capitals and entablature are of stone, finely carved, but the columns are simply banded brick.  C. F. Hancock, a London jeweller, who bought the house in 1869, added the North wings.   Numerous myths, principally that its interior decoration was due to David Garrick, and that the portico came from the Duke of Chandos's mansion at Canons.  1828 was owned by the architect Samuel Ware.  Described as with carriage front 'adorned with pillars and enriched capitals, brought from Wanstead House'.  Wanstead was demolished in 1824, so was it Ware who embellished his house with relics of Campbell's mansion?  He may also have been responsible for the balustrade and urns (Wanstead had similar features), the statues in pedimented niches in the front, which are mentioned by Keane, and the moulded timber frames to the windows.  Ware's work on major houses would have given him plenty of opportunities to gather material of this kind.  There is an awkwardly placed stair of earlier c18 type perhaps also architectural loot.  The low cornice to the passage to the garden door looks c18.  The rooms to the south are taller; they include the dining room, which has a rectangular c18 ceiling painting with classical figures.  A smaller ceiling painting identified as a study by Tiepolo was sold in 1954.  Its origin is unclear.

Grounds in Ware's time celebrated association with Garrick with two obelisks, which are now in the forecourt. Statue of the muses and temple has gone.

Bell Lane

Bell Lane Board School. Four were opened in 1901 the Hendon School Board was formed only in 1897, delayed by Anglican opposition. plain, was built as Hendon Central Board School.

Cattle trough

Brent Street

Indifferent shopping street was a separate village centre

Milestone

Garrick park, only bit left of Garrick's estate

Downage

St Mary's Church of England High School.  1957-60.  Has a gently elegant front of three storeys; curtain walling with timber bands.

72 white cubic composition by Evelyn Fitzsimmons of Simmons & Grellier, 1936, with tall stair-tower on the left a curved wing on the right, and a sunroof

During the 20th century, a number of small factories were established in the area. The largest was Tilley Lamps Ltd (1915 to 1961), which employed around 300 people and manufactured pressure paraffin lamps (rather charmingly called Aladdin lamps in the 1930s

Chapel walk

Methodist Church Hall. The church hall is named after a Dorset man, Henry Burden, who started Methodist services at his home in Brent Street in 1820. Overcoming the local vicar's misgivings about employing Wesleyan consciences was tenderer in those days!) He became head gardener at the vicarage.

Finchley Lane

Hendon Baptist Church 1886 by Sears. 

Mulberry Close

Nursery Walk,

Pillar box by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby & London.  Foundry; Britannia Foundry and Engineering Works.  Anonymous.  Lower posting aperture large, 19 in diameter 1884

Parson Street

Became a posh area in the 19th. Building development by C.F.Hancock in the 1870s but foiled by poor transport links.

Vicarage. Simple detailed house 1800. Once in fine grounds

Cottage remains from 19th development. Prettily turreted and diapered, formerly a lodge to the demolished Langton Lodge,

35 Ivy Tower 1870s. A substantial 1870s house with a comer turret,

54 St Swithin's with crenellated and turreted roof-line  extended c. 1900 to designs of George Hornblower

Victoria Road

Spalding Hall. Sunday school for Hendon congregational church. 1901 by F. W. Troup. Chequered brickwork with nicely detailed Arts and Crafts entrance under a big splayed arch


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow