Dollis Hill Paddock

    

This post is not finished it has not been edited or checked

Post to the north West Hendon

Post to the east Cricklewood

Post to the west Neasden Brent Reservoir

Post to the south Dollis Hill Station


Brook Road

Chartwell Court was the Post office Research Station Opened 1933. Given up by the PO in 1976 and then in other commercial use. Typical brick built buildings of the period by A.R. Myers, HM Office of Works architect. - Main block 286 feet long with 3 principal floors, one other large block and a number of individual single storey research blocks also remain. Now flats and the Network HA

115-117 An inconspicuous door between then gives access to the top of spiral staircase - one of the two emergency exits of a very large bunker.  

38 1976 commercial

The Paddock. In the 2nd World War there was big underground citadel under it. alternative Cabinet War Rooms ('Paddock').  There are at least three entrances among modern housing along Brook Road, one of which remains in its original state in a small surface building with associated ventilation and power intake  arrangements. The two-storey underground bunker lies below the modern houses on the west side of Brook Road, within the grounds of a former Post Office telephones research station. Paddock Road was opposite, but is now obliterated by excavations for new work. The local geology appears to be gravelly drift  overlying, presumably, London clay. There are two floors underground, with notices on the walls declaring the lower one to be floor 26, and the upper one floor 27. Floor 28 appears to have been a surface building. There is no evidence for the whereabouts of any floors numbered 1-25! The two sets of emergency exit stairs are remarkably narrow and spiral around small square shafts. Floor 27 has a long central corridor, with numerous rooms off each side, including some still containing air filters and non-functioning electrical control equipment. Floor 26 has a similar corridor, but with rooms off one side only. The lower floor rooms include a large central room, presumably the main cabinet room, and a plant room with some equipment still in place. There is very little evidence of any domestic arrangements. One room might have been a small kitchen where a cup of tea might have been brewed (two sinks, but no trace of cooking apparatus). No traces identifiable as remains of lavatories or dormitories were seen. One room has the remains of telephone exchange racking. There appear to be no holes in the flooded lower floor, although persons wading in the rather murky water do need to take care not to fall over a few items of junk and occasional cables scattered about. The internal walls are flimsy in the extreme, often no more than panels on wooden framing. Much of the timberwork, especially on the currently flooded lower floor, is festooned with fungal mycelium, giving a horror-film appearance to doorways! Much larger and more strongly built and elaborately equipped bunkers were built in Germany during the Second World War, such as Goring's bunker at Wildpark near Potsdam. At least two Cabinet meetings are known to have been held at Paddock, one of them chaired by Winston Churchill. Churchill, however, is reported not to have liked the place.

Coles Green Road

Oxgate Farm. c. 1600.  wooden signboard says 1483. Was one of Willesden’s manors and one of the oldest buildings in Brent.

Dollis Hill

Name could be 16th century and connected with a family called Dalley. Sometimes called Dolly's Hill and Dales Way. Also Dollar’s Hill.  Dollis Brook may have a different derivation.

Progressive synagogue converted to a school.

Dollis Hill Lane

Neville Court, round a quadrangle stylish modernity with efficiently planned flats.

St.Andrew's Hospital 

St.Paul

Humber Road

Thrupp & Maberley carriage works

Neville’s Court

Churchill had a flat here in the Second World War.

Oxgate Lane,

Went from Oxgate Farm to Watling Street, Oxgate was an old village. It is marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1822, and used earlier c.1250 - that is 'gate used for oxen', from Old English ‘oxa’ and ‘gate’. It may originally have referred to a gate preventing cattle from straying on to nearby Watling Street. The lane from the farm o the main road is clearly shown on the 1822 map; the 16th century farmhouse still survives.

Polydore Vergil from Urbinia

St.Paul's Oxgate 1939-80.

Parkside

Dollis Hill Synagogue. 1934 by Owen Williams. Very adverse reception when it was built – overt architectural structuralism. 

Railway Dudding Hill South Junction Signal Box  by Parkside. Typical Midland Railway signal box controlling the junction of Brent Curve and Cricklewood Curve which lead to the MR main line. 

Railway platelayers' hut.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow