Barn Hill Wembley Park
This post is not finished it has not been edited or checked
Was part of Repton, design for Wembley Park, Golf course bought by the Council in 1927. Developed by Haymills Co. 1826, complex of undulating roads
Owned by Roman Catholic family Bellamy. Hid there in the porch, site not marked
Bit of old Uxendon farm left. Part of Fryent Country Park. 252 acres regenerating woodland and traditional meadow. 70 sorts of bird, 22 butterflies 5 dragonflies. Jubilee line. Dew pond. Site of Barn of Bush Farm riding school. Repton worked here for Richard Page. Kingsbury and Harrow Line 1880.
Fryent Regional Open Space. Microcosm of Middlesex lost countryside. Bought by Middlesex County Council in 1938 who leased it to a farmer who grubbed up the hedges. Hedges same as in 1597.
Fryent was the original part of what is now Kingsbury, the name comes from early ownership by the friars of the Order of St.John of Jerusalem. Preserves the old name of Fryent Farm. marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1877. earlier ‘Freryn Court’ c.1516. ‘Warn Manor’ 1593, ‘Friant’ 1754, ‘Fryem Farm’ 1822, that is 'court or manor house of the friars or brethren', from Middle English ‘frere’ referring to possession of the manor by the Knights of St John of Jerusalem. It will be noted that the final -t in the modem spelling is quite unhistorical. Taken over by St. Paul’s at the Reformation and agricultural until the 20th.
Fryent Country Park, The park is bisected by Fryent Way. The park, is often referred to simply as Barn Hill after the higher of two hills that rise on either side of the road.. It covers an area of landscaped park and traditional Middlesex countryside with fine views. This is a combination of a fragment of the c18 Wembley Park and a merger of Barn Hill and Kenton Lane open spaces plus the land of Bush and Hillhouse farms. The field pattern, with ancient hedgerows has altered little since it was recorded in an estate plan of 1597. Barn Hill shows many signs of landscaping by Humphrey Repton including unfinished Page's folly, a prospect tower named after the commissioning landowner, Richard Page. Part was used for a golf course at the end of the c19, although it fell into disuse during the First World War. From 1927, when the district council acquired another 20 hectares, the park grew piecemeal with fields leased to a local farmer until 1957. Retention of extensive hay meadows, many of which were ploughed during the Second World War but have recovered. The ancient hedgerows, one of which was a parish boundary hedge between Kingsbury and Harrow, contain midland and hybrid hawthorn as well as elder, blackthorn and the rare wild service tree. Woodland on Barn Hill was planted around 1793 with oak, field maple, hornbeam and beech. There is a pond at the summit of the hill. Young oak woodland is colonising the old golf course. Ten old farm ponds have been supplemented by four new ones to encourage; invertebrates and wetland plants.
Stark concrete blocks part of Barn Hill estate. 1934