London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
Aldersbrook means ‘place by
an alder stream’ and comes from a fairly late farm name. Previously it was the
unexplained name of Naked Hall. The
suburb of, Aldersbrook was developed from 1899-1910, with gabled and
bay-windowed middle-class villas in a variety of styles. A parade of shops of
1904 provided by the ubiquitous J.H. Bethell of East Ham.
City of London
Cemetery.Founded by Corporation of London and laid out
in 1853 by William Haywood, surveyor to the Commissioners of Sewers. well looked
after and a good place to see an original of a Victorian cemetery on a grand
scale, complete with buildings.Straight
tree-lined roads with tombs fan out from the entrancewith a relaxed winding route round the edge.
T.ragstone chapel has a steep
gabled roof and traceried windows; another chapel is French Gothic;
while a more sober Nonconformist chapel is octagonal, with a rose window. There
is a Gothic arcaded crescent of catacombs, partly converted to columbaria with
etched-glass entrance doors.crematorium
of 1971, a low building with patterned-concrete screen walls, and an flat
roof.There is an older crematorium from
1903 by D.J. Ross, the second to be built in London, its chimney disguised as a
tower.There are prominent monuments to
those whose remains reinterred from City churchyards – for example a Gothic
tower for remains from St Andrew and St Sepulchre 1871 by Haywood.In Forge Avenue beyond the Anglican chapel is
a Classical monument from St Olave Jewry and St Martin Pomeroy 1889 and at
Anchor Road are two mausolea of the 1860s in Greek style, for the Pedley and
Hasluck families. Haywood's own monument is a Gothic mausoleum near the
entrance gates, 1894.most monument are
obelisks and pedestals but one eccentric memorial is to Gladys Spencer 1931
with piano.There are many large trees -beech, oak and ash as well as some more
uncommon ones. Rhododendrons
Roman pavement found which could indicate a villa.
Baptist Church, 1908. .
immersion font in the end.
by C.H. Brassey, two storeys, one-storey Infants School
with classrooms around a central hall, added 1911
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by