London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post has not been edited or updated and there are no references
Heathrow village and houses are gone. The Airport is the
site of New Barn Farm. Marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1822 as ‘Heath
Row’, earlier ‘La Hetherewe’ c.1410, ‘Hitherowe’ 1547, that is 'the row of houses on or near
the heath', from Middle English ‘hethe’ and ‘rewe’. The reference is to the
tract of heathland west of the River Crane that gave name at an earlier date to
Hatton. The old settlement was swept away when the airport was built.
Heathrow Airport. At the end of World War II there was a need for a new location for
Britain's major international airport, near to the centre of London and with
enough land for future demand. Hounslow Heath had been used as an RAF transport
depot since 1943, and was the site of the London end of the original London to
Paris air service lies – thus buried under one of the runways. Heathrow was
developed as a star-shaped pattern of runways based on those used by the RAF,
with administration and passenger accommodation at the centre. In 1946 this was
primitive in the extreme, with tents for passengers and caravans for airport
administration. In 1950 the government commissioned Sir Frederick Gibberd to
design the first permanent central terminal, which opened in 1955. Heathrow
became the world's busiest international airport. It covers seven square miles, has 13 miles of perimeter road.In 1972 47,000 workers. It is an Industrial
slum. It has a terminal tunnel, impressive garden. The first departure was a
British South American Airways plane to Buenos Aires in January 1946.
Warlike Mithras Temple on the ram.Celtic temple and Iron Age pottery. Two
ancient camps on the Ram - King Arthur's camp and Caesar camp.
Sir John Alcock, and Brown statue in Granite by William Macmillan. Both in flying kit. Installed in
1954 on the north side of the airport and then moved in 1966 to Terminal
3.Now near the Central Tower. At the
rear is a peace trident and dove. Alcock and Brown flew the Atlantic in 1919 –
the first to do so – in a Vickers Vimy.
Terminals 1, 2 & 3 built between 1955-1968
to the cargo site
Heathrow Station Terminals 1 2 3.16th December
1977. Terminal of Piccadilly Line from Hatton Cross but also on a loop to
Terminal 4 on the Heathrow Express. Built on the Piccadilly Line and Opened as
Heathrow Central.It is a reinforced
concrete box below track level with a Bentonite walling system.Ticket hall 20' below ground.Staff accommodation on mezzanine floor, 11'
lower, platforms 44’ down.Two pairs of
escalators.There is a Travolator from
ABA to terminal buildings.It was opened
by the Queen making
Heathrow the first international airport in the world to be directly linked
with a city centre by underground railway.In 1986, the name was changed to Heathrow Terminals 1, 2, 3, and a
four-mile loop was opened linking it to Heathrow Terminal 4, with Hatton Cross.
This was opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales. In 1998 it was linked to
the Heathrow Express from Paddington which then goes on to Terminal 4.While this was being built in October 1994
disastrous subsidence set the programme back by six months.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n