This post has only been partly edited and is not finished
Austin Road Estate. Red brick council estate
EMI Central Research Labs factory, Electrical and Musical Industries Ltd. also Emitron TV system adopted by the BBC in 1936. They designed high-definition TV and stereo sound also airborne radar.
Gramophone Company factory. Gramophone and Typewriter Co They bought 11 acre site with private sidings and wharf. Gramophone records were to be made as the Company's German factory could not cope with demand. They built gramophones and released 78 rpm records as His Master's Voice with Nipper, who dates from 1900. Wallis, Gilbert designed the new factory. In 1931 the Gramophone Co. amalgamated with Columbia Gramophone Co. eventually becoming EMI then Thorn/EMI. From 1978 as vinyl is less used factory closes.
HMV HQ moved to other side of Blyth Road in 1912 from London.
Jupiter house - Foundation stone laid by Dame Nellie Melba. All recording stars would come here until Abbey Road opened in the 1960s. A neo- Georgian brick building
Enterprise house - Former gramophone factory for HMV now warehousing and industrial units. Built 1912 by Trussed Concrete Steel Company, E Owen Williams. The rooftop water tank, has led to it becoming called 'Little Chicago'."
Neptune house - part demolished 1984. Dates from 1906-7. It is now the boiler house. 2 storey Security block
Apollo house - collection of 19th Century brick built factories with metal-framed roofs. Important gable facing the road.
Jubilee house - 3 storeys with Reinforced concrete frame truncated wedge shape. Strange windows to the western stairs
Mercury house - 5 storeys flat slab it was the Assembly building and has Egyptian detailing.
Vulcan house - 5 storeys with two internal atriums. It was the Cabinet factory.
Phoenix house -5 storeys in height. Wedge shaped plan. It was the Record Store building
Rail line. A small shunting engine which belonged to EMI crossed the road,
Goss works. The Old Pressing Plant, also known as Apollo House, bur 1905 by Goss Printing Co, Based in Chicago and made newspaper printing machines n the Great War occupied by the National Aero Engine Company. From 1921, McCurd Lorry Manufacturing Co until c.1927 and purchased by the Gramophone Company works and integrated to its production line
Botwell was still a quiet farming village until the Grand Junction Canal was built here, First recorded in 831, it was the site of a spring with supposedly curative properties.
Botwell Cross. Old cottages in what is now a conservation area
Botwell House. The Catholic Parish was founded in, 1912 by Claretian Missionaries from Spain. They bought Botwell House with 4½ acres of ground,
Botwell House Catholic Primary School. This opened in 1931 built as part of the church complex.
Botwell Social Centre. This was the intermediate church enlarged and remodelled, and it opened in 1967.
Immaculate Heart of Mary Church. It was dedicated in 1961
Originally the Grand Junction Canal of 1793 was to link Braunston with Brentford. William Jessop was the engineer. All canal bridges were numbered from Braunston. This section was built as a 'wide' or 'broad' canal – that is, its locks were wide enough to accommodate two narrow boats abreast or a single wide barge up to 14 feet in beam.
There was a canal iron milepost saying ‘Braunston 87 miles’.
Dock diagonally north east of Hayes station for gwr coal depot
Names for Alfred Clayton who was the Hayes Development Company secretary.
British Oil and Turpintine Co.Excelsior Refinery and Wharr. Making motor oil
Arthur Lee and Bros. Ltd. Marble/granite/slate
School. On the corner with Printing House Road a temporary elementary school was opened in 1906 by the local authority and replaced in 1908 by a permanent school. A second block was opened in 1913; the school was closed in 1931.
Direct Line Insurance workshops. Replaced the school.
Hayes British Electrical Transformer Co built works in 1901. Sited here because of transport, on banks of canal and GWR line S in to the factory. Their main product was the Berry transformer, invented by A. F. Berry who also invented the Tricity cooker.
Universal Tyres & Spares Ltd – an independent, family-owned tyre-fitting and MOT centre established in 1957
9 Captain Morgans. Pub which has a Celtic football followers. Previously called The Welcome Inn.
Hayes weldare asscc ild oub
Grand Union Canal Walk
Original name for the area was Cotman’s Town. ‘ha-se’ 793, ‘Ha-se’ 831 in Anglo-Saxon charters, ‘Heso’ 1086 in the Domesday Book, ‘Hese’ 1232, ‘Hayes alias Hese’ 1648. Area covered in brushwood.
As far back as 1899, the Hayes Development Corporation had acquired land south of the hamlet of Botwell with the aim of developing factories.
Valentine Ord and Co Ltd, (saccharine glucose etc.); 1906 –
John B Erwall. (Metal fittings and instruments);
The X Chair Patents Co. Ltd. (folding chairs etc.)1909
- Orchestrelle Co. Now Listed. (Pianola factory.)1912 - -.
Millington road Engineering works
Brewing sugar works
Marble and slate works
Mack partition works
The section of the road which is in this square is being redeveloped as Hayes Village
North Hyde Road
Fairey Aviation Co.. Founded in 1915 by Richard Fairey and Belgian Ernest Oscar ex Short Bros. The Propeller Division - Fairey-Reed Airscrews - was at Hayes factory. One Hayes-built aircraft type during the late 1930s and World War II was the Swordfish. In 1957, the prototype Rotodyne vertical takeoff airliner was built at Hayes and helicopters such as the Westland Wasp and Westland Scout were built at Hayes in the 1960s. Planes were tested at their own airstrip Northolt then at Great West Airport at Harmondsworth later
Old Station Road
Printing works postage stamps, Harrisons. They had their own dock, since filled in
In 1838 the Great Western Railway was constructed. The company owned warehouses and shops in Botwell by 1842.
Fields to the north-east and to the north-west called ‘Brick Field’. 1866
Before the bridge by the Blue Anchor was rebuilt, the old bridge had a gate across it which only allowed pedestrians through; this was only opened at the start and end of the shifts for the vast amount of employees at the EMI during its heyday.